PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
Who are The Kalisher Trust?
The Kalisher Trust exists to help people qualify as barristers and begin their professional career at the Criminal Bar. Set up in 1996, the Kalisher Trust provides opportunities to gain experience in a range of relevant fields to talented students from non-traditional backgrounds who often face significant financial hardship. Previous Kalisher internships have been awarded in partnership with Justice, the Death Penalty Project,, the Criminal Cases Review Commission, and the Sentencing Academy.
The Kalisher Trust funded internship with Amicus will take place over a consecutive three or four-month period (start date to be discussed with applicants at interview) and will be based in an Amicus-affiliated capital defence office in the US. Interns will receive an award from the Trust of £5,000 towards their travel and living expenses once the overseas placement has been confirmed.
The successful candidate will...
- be committed to joining the Criminal Bar of England & Wales, and will normally have completed the Bar Professional Training Course following the award of a law degree or law conversion programme.
- be able to offer a minimum time commitment of three to four months;
- have attended or registered for Amicus training (held bi-annually in London) within the three years prior to application;
- be a member of Amicus; and
- be able to demonstrate financial need (in confidence, candidates will be asked to supply the interview panel with appropriate evidence of need).
NB: A driving licence is preferable but not essential
How to apply:
Applications are OPEN until 21st May 2021. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a remote interview in June 2021.
To be considered for a Kalisher placement with Amicus, please e-mail a CV and a statement (not exceeding 600 words) identifying your interest, direct to email@example.com. The application should set out why you say that you satisfy the requirements for funding set out the first section above. Mark your email with 'KALISHER INTERNSHIP' in the subject line.